Wednesday, May 8, 2013

St. John's

Hello all!

Sailing to Newfoundland today! I'll post this once I get on land and have free Internet. Not exactly sure what I'll have on the agenda for that port, but I know it will be gorgeous!

fABBAlicious was our first show last night!!!! It was awesome! The guests raved about it! They were dancing in the aisles with us & I had so many guests saying sweet things to me & welcoming our first performance! Everyone knew my name this morning & was coming up to me & so excited from the show last night. It was amazing & I'm so glad it went well. I performed this show on my previous ship, but I am singing completely different songs & tracks on the Whisper. It was a whirlwind of rehearsals, so I had to erase my singing/dancing muscle memory on some parts & retrain myself on the new/same show in 36 hours. PHEW! It was exhilarating & so much fun to be back on stage! I ADORE MY CAST! 

Canada has been very picturesque, thus far. I could imagine that a nice weekend getaway would be fun there.  Five hours off of a ship works well too! :) 

The titanic museum in Halifax was quite interesting. It's very haunting to see those things (especially when you live on a ship) and amazing, as well. They had a deck chair from the ship that was salvaged from the wreckage. One horrible image was that of a two year old little boy - the only perished child that was recovered out of the 300 + that they brought to shore. This child's was  unidentified for 100 years & recently they figured out he was a 19 month old named Sidney. They had his tiny shoes on display and an entire story about him. Most of the Titanic passengers are buried in 3 cemeteries throughout Halifax. It was the closest port from the wreckage - approximately 700 nautical miles. 

Unfortunately, time did not allow for us to visit the graves, but the museum was fascinating! I've always had an affinity for the Titanic story (I'll blame Leo DiCaprio) and living on board a moving vessel has only intrigued me more. Everyone finds that strange - "THE TITANIC?!? ARE YOU CRAZY?!? YOU LIVE ON A SHIP! THAT COULD BE YOU!" - buuuuut with all of the extensive trainings we have & excess life boats, we are all aware that an accident like that would be the most bizarre occurrence that we could imagine. I feel very safe here. The Whisper is amazing!!!!

The Silver Whisper is also giant (in comparison to the ship I lived on last year) and I am always getting lost! Ha! I've found my way to the theatre two times now & I was EXTREMELY proud! It's a completely different  world below the guest areas (luckily, we live on deck 4 & down the hall from the guests, so it hasn't been too tricky.)  Many twists, turns, hallways, cabins...Each stairway looks like the one before to me, so it's taking me a minute to grasp my surroundings. I'm getting there &  very much enjoy having the additional levels on the ship. We have our own crew deck on the tip top of the ship - Deck 11 - but I feel it is going to be too chilly to take full advantage of it. It was very foggy & rainy today.

Okay - this is VERY long sooo if you're still reading, I owe you a cocktail when I get back to America & a couple hugs! It's much easier for me to update here than try to e-mail everyone while in port with limited time. Please comment/let me know how you're doing/share stories with me! Thank you for reading!

P.s. If anyone knows how to subscribe to this site with your email (not by registering with gmail) let me know - a few people have asked that want to receive updates without typing in the blog address. THANK YOU! XOXOXOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment